Sunday, March 30, 2008

Musical Instruments

I think we're nearing the end of my series of ties depicting real things. This is the first of two hand-painted ties featuring musical images. This one has four musical instruments painted on it, along with three small pieces of musical staff and notes.

The instruments appear to be, starting at the top, a saxophone, a soprano sax, or perhaps a clarinet, a trumpet or cornet, and finally, a euphonium or baritone, perhaps a tuba.

The images on the tie are quite clearly hand-painted, although this is much more obvious with the tie in hand, probably, than in the scan. The paint is thick, and rough to the touch, raised above the surface of the tie.

The tie has one label, sewn into the small end, and partially visible in the scan. It reads as follows:

Pilgrim
Reg. U.S Pat. Off.
Rayon Cravats

Next week, another hand-painted musical-themed tie, and then, I'm afraid I'll probably be at the end of the series depicting items from real life, unless I find another that I'm not currently aware of.

No comments: