Sunday, January 08, 2006

Dad's Red and Blue Paisley

I became interested in vintage ties during high school, when a fellow classmate showed off his father's incredible tie collection by wearing them to school. As I recall, he even had some zoot suit ties, which were literally as wide as the front of your shirt, and incredibly brilliantly colored.

I promptly went home and asked my Dad if HE had any old ties. And lo and behold, yes, he did! This red paisley on a navy blue background was one of them, and remains one of my favorites to this day. You can also see quite clearly the gorgeous floral brocade pattern in the background.

I had never seen my father wear any of these vintage ties; he had long since given them up for the conservative look of the 50's and 60's. It has always been hard for me to imagine him as a stylish young buck, decked out in a tie like this!

As I recall, there were about a dozen or so. I took them all off to school, and wore them with pride. Later, my mother suggested I let my two younger brothers have some of them, and I reluctantly divided them up between the three of us. Unfortunately, both of them were still living at home when the old farmhouse burned to the ground, and only the three I had away with me were saved for posterity.

The tie's labels read "DOUPE BROTHERS Ilwaco, WN." and "Fashion Craft SN Cravats."

No comments: