Sunday, July 19, 2009

Red & Yellow, Silver & White

I know, I know. It's been three weeks since I last posted a vintage tie here. Mea culpa. We were on vacation the first two weeks, and then the next week we were trying to catch up from having been gone so much. There often just aren't enough hours in the day or the week to go around.

But I'm back. And I hope you enjoy this tie. It's a classic forties era design, quite colorful, with a lively design.

I'm not really sure how to describe the design. I'm almost tempted to just refer you to the title I gave this post, and leave it at that. Except that it's probably more maroon than red. Red only in a very general, generic sense.

But to just call it abstract would be a cop-out. If you look carefully, the large maroon blob could be a leaf-like shape, I suppose. It almost looks more like a large toothy saw blade, with the yellow and silver ripper blades around the edges. And lower down on the tie is another smaller version of the same thing.

Instead of a saw blade, it could be some sort of amoeba blob thing, I suppose. I think my imagination may be getting a bit carried away. Let's go back to something tamer, like a highly stylized leaf or flower, maybe a sunflower! or something. Or something else altogether? You decide.

The tie has one label, sewn into the small end which reads as follows:

Ward & Ward INC.
Phila. PA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw footballs flying over goalposts, and yardlines... and I'm not even into football. :D

Unknown said...

I think I gave you this one too.