Sunday, February 27, 2011

Red with streaks of gold, tan, and blue

This is awful! Terrible! Shameful! The last time I blogged a tie was back in November, 2010, and the last time before that, and the last time I regularly blogged several ties was in September. I'm sure that anyone who ever paid attention to this blog (and there were never that many to begin with, this being a topic of fairly limited interest), thought it was dead, dead and gone, dead and buried.

Well, here I am, finally, blogging my first tie in 2011, and it's almost the end of February! I hope this attractive specimen that I present today will go a small ways toward rectifying my past deleteriousness (my dictionary doesn't think that's a word, but I don't see why not).

I obtained this tie not quite a week ago. On President's day, we stopped in at Value Village in Lacey, WA, just a hop, skip, and jump from where we reside here in Tumwater. I always enjoy my visits there, as they have ties displayed all along one wide expanse of wall, behind the rest of the men's clothing, and it is easy to peruse the collected assortment and look for any bargains.

It's rare to find many truly vintage ties at Value Village, but on this visit I hit the big time with this vintage forties era beauty. It was only $6.99, plus ALL clothing was 50% off that day, so I actually paid only $3.50 for a tie that is worth (on the going eBay marketplace) a minimum of $9.99, and worth more, if it strikes some collector's fancy.

The tie is a shade of deep crimson red, enhanced by a stylized floral brocade woven into the fabric. On top of the red appear a series of scribbles, jagged lines, with the vertical ones in a tan clor, and horizontal ones mostly in gold, with a few blue ones near the bottom of the tie, with more blue appearing on the small end.

The tie has two well-preserved labels, fastened to the large end of the tie, which is slightly unusual, though by no means unheard of. Tags are more often fastened to the small end, and I often include them in the scan when that is the case. The first tag is the seller's label, which reads
M. Hyman & Son
215 No.Clark St. Chicago
The manufacturer's label features an escutcheon topped with a crown, and with the head of an elephant on the shield, trunk and tusks raised aggressively. The label reads:
Burma
All Silk
So there you have it. I'm glad to be back, and only time will tell if I'm able to post ties on a more regular basis in future. My time is often at a premium these days. I have good intentions, but don't always manage to follow through on them Mea culpa.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I check every so often. I thought you'd quit.

Is there some writing on the narrow end of the tie?

Cheers,
Jim

Will said...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for checking in!

Nope, no writing on either end of the tie. Just the two labels as described.

Will

roger said...

The word "symphonic" or "symphonie" is written on the narrow end. Underneath that is another word beginning with either "li" or "ti" ("tie," perhaps).

Will said...

How right you are, Roger! Amazing, I hadn't even noticed that writing. Following the second word around the edge of the tie, it appears to read "lines." So I assume it reads "Symphonic lines"

Sorry Jim, when you asked if there was writing on the narrow end, I just assumed you meant on the reverse side, where sometimes labels are printed directly on the tie fabric. I didn't even look at the image I had scanned, or the tie itself! Mea culpa.

Men's Fashion said...

This is really a very good looking ties, I have lot of ties in my men's fashion wardrobe but don't have this kind of stylish tie.