Sunday, September 21, 2008

Handpainted Autumn Leaves

In recognition of the first day of Autumn, which occurs at the autumnal equinox tomorrow, I present my newest tie depicting autumn leaves. I'm afraid this is probably the only autumn tie I'll be able to blog this year, as I've already shown off all the others in past years. I'm fresh out of vintage autumn leaf ties, except for this one.

To see all of my earlier vintage autumn ties, visit September, October, November, and even December (1 tie) of 2007, plus September (1 tie), October, and November of 2006.

This tie also shares characteristics with another group of ties which I posted early on, starting with the last tie posted in March, 2006, and continuing with three of those posted in April of that year. I described these ties as having a "brushed, matte style surface," and they are all handpainted, I believe, though I'm not 100% positive. There is one additional tie of this sort on the blog, a very special tie that I posted for Father's Day in 2006. If you look at any of those ties, you'll see why I put this one in the same grouping, style-wise, anyhow.

This tie shows its age by the fact that it has some stains on it, stains which didn't come out when I had it cleaned. I got the tie this past summer in Santa Cruz, California, while on vacation there. It was in a vintage clothing store, I believe, that we found it, for not very much money. It has one good size label, sewn into the large end of the tie, which reads as follows:

Made and
Hand Painted
in California of
Acetate and Nylon
by Richley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never understood why 'handpainted in California' was such a big selling point. Were the artists better there or something? :)

Jim

Will said...

No idea, Jim. It does seem like you see that fairly often, though to be fair, I haven't checked all of my handpainted ties, to see how many of them say that. Good observation, though!

Anonymous said...

Great necktie! Yes, California handpainted ties were very popular in the late-'40s and early-'50 (in fact, I wore one today). I don't know why so many were made in California, though; perhaps there was a plethora of artists in the state following the war.

L. Bartoletti
Los Angeles