Sunday, February 26, 2006

Olive and Burgundy Arabesque

This tie was purchased in California, at an antique store in downtown Santa Cruz, if I remember correctly. That would have been in 1996 or 1997, whichever year ALA (the American Library Association) held its annual conference in San Francisco.

Arline and I went, my trip paid by my employer of the time, Amigos, and Arline getting at least part of her expenses paid by her employer, SMU (Southern Methodist University). We stayed on for a week after the conference, and after spending a couple of days doing the tourist thing in San Francisco, traveled on down to San Jose by train, where Arline's sister Kathy and her husband Ken, picked us up and took us over the mountain to Santa Cruz, where they still live to this day.

Arline had seen this tie when she had been there a year before, but had selected a different one to buy for me as a gift. When we visited the store again (again for them, first time for me) this tie was still there, and I coveted it, and so bought it, rather than risk breaking the 10th commandment.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the scanned image will allow you to see the brocade pattern which consists of closely spaced circular dots of variing sizes. They are mirrored by the maroon circular patterns contained in the rectangular boxes. The tie has a label which reads "made and styled in california for Penney's".

No comments: