Sunday, August 13, 2006

Tropical Egrets

Just when I thought I'd run out of tropical images, I remembered this tie! I don't know why, exactly, but the birds look tropical to me. Even though we have egrets in the Pacific NorthWest, those little framed picture vignettes project a tropical flavor to me. That giant moon (could be the sinking sun, I suppose), the foliage, and the bird: it all says tropics, somehow.

This poor old tie is definitely showing its age. Primarily through a loss of "resilience." The fabric is limp, and the tie no longer holds its shape very well. I note that "Resilient construction" is a favorite bragging term on many tie labels. Well, this tie has no labels, and if it did, resilient construction would certainly not apply, at least in its current state.

It's still a great summer tie, and the pale orange color of the background of the little picture vignettes, both the circular and diamond shaped ones, makes it a great choice with a pale orange shirt. I still manage to wear it once or twice each summer season.

I think I overdid it just a bit with my image enhancing software though. The color on screen is a bit stronger than what I'm seeing when I hold the tie in my hand. The body of the tie should be just a bit lighter, more towards tan, and less towards gold. My bad.

An interesting touch that you might not notice right off is the difference between the two bird pictures. The one lower down shows leaves, while the one further up shows bare wintery branches. Reminds one of that famous line by Shakespeare, perhaps:
Bare ruin'd choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.

No comments: