Sunday, October 08, 2006

Silvery Gray Leaves on Burgundy

Not all ties sporting autumn leaves have to necessarily show traditional autumn colors. Several of my vintage ties featuring leaves are in other kinds of color combinations, such as this one, with gray leaves on a deep red background.

This is my first experiment using my new inexpensive digital camera to capture a tie image, rather than my scanner. The scanner produces higher resolution images, I think, based on the size of the image in KB, anyhow. And this picture shows some glare from the camera flash. It's like only the second or third picture I've taken with the camera, so obviously I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing as yet.

But the reason I used this shot instead of the scan I made prior to trying the camera was that I couldn't get an accurate on-screen color using the scanned image. If I got the red to display the proper shade of deep burgandy, then the leaves were far too purple. If I got the leaves to the correct pale shade of silvery gray, then the red was much to light a shade, not at all like the tie itself. It was frustrating, to say the least.

I may try shooting the tie with the camera again, later, when I learn more about what I'm doing, and see if I can come up with a better image. In the meantime, at least, these colors appear more or less accurate to my eye.

This tie has no extant labels to transcribe. Hopefully the gorgeous slightly stylized leaf pattern imbedded into the fabric itself is visible. This is a beautiful tie, even if this low-quality image may not entirely do it justice.

No comments: