Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jewel Toned Stripes of Red and Black

When I saved this scanned image to my computer disk, I named it "Blobby Red Stripes" but now that I'm posting it, "Jewel Toned" sounds so much classier, don't you think?

The tie is quite opulent in appearance, but restrained. That is, it appears ordinary and somewhat monochromatic, almost dull, from a distance. It's only when you see it up close that you can appreciate it's gem-like qualities.

In the right light, at the right angle, the brighter blobby red stripes literally shimmer and shine, glimmer and glisten. Even the duller stripes in between are covered in many small black and red dots, contributing to the overall effect.

I presume that this is another thirties-era tie, as the pattern appears to be woven directly into the fabric, and the construction is off-centered in back, as is typical of that era tie. However, the tie is lined, which is less common.

Finally, I suppose I ought to comment on the fact that it's been a month and a half since I last posted a tie here on the blog. I've used this excuse before in previous years, which doesn't make it any less applicable now. As an active church musician, organist, pianist, choir accompanist, March and the first part of April was a very busy time, leading up to Holy Week and Easter, one of the busiest times in any church musician's schedule. So I just didn't find the time to scan and post any ties. I hope I can do better in future, as I've got quite a few new ties to post!

No comments: