Sunday, March 19, 2006

Red with Golden Globes

This is probably my favorite vintage tie in red. I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be depicting. Some kind of fruit, I suppose, with leaves connecting them. It reminds me of the verse from Psalms (or is it Proverbs?) "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." I just checked the King James Bible via a quick Google search, and it's Proverbs 25:11. I had a grade school teacher who loved to quote that verse, and did so incessantly.

I bought this tie early in my collecting life, during my college years, when I used to haunt the St. Vincent de Paul and Salvation Army stores in Walla Walla, Washington. Good vintage ties could often be found there, and I rarely had to pay more than a dollar or two for them.

I used to have a wonderful 40's era suit to go with this tie. I bought the tie first, and later bought the suit to go with it, which fact I was happy to impart to anyone I could get to listen. Paid $5.00 for the suit as I recall. It was off white, thick bulky wool fabric, with lots of colorful threads imbedded in it, the predominant color of which was a deep red perfectly matching this tie.

Actually, I think the suit is still in a box out in my garage somewhere, but unfortunately, my waistline expanded over the years, and I havn't been able to fit into that suit for years, and I'm don't suppose I ever will again. I should sell my old suits on eBay, I suppose. I had half a dozen 40's and 50's era suits. They were sure fun to wear! The ties still are. I wore this one to church today.

The tie has no sewn in labels, but it has a label printed directly on the fabric on the back that simply reads "HABAND." The brocade pattern consists of large squares, each of which contains 6 by 6 rows of tiny squares inside it. The squares are tipped onto the perpendicular.

No comments: