Sunday, April 02, 2006

Orange Lanterns

This is the second in my series of matte brushed finish ties. I'm not really quite sure what to call them, or how to describe them, but if you compare this one with last week's example, I think you'll see what I mean, especially if you compare them with the ones I've posted previously. If anyone knows what this style is called in the industry, officially or unofficially, please let me know.

On the reverse side of this tie is written in a beautiful almost calligraphic flowing script: "Hand Painted in Calif." This legend is itself undoubtedly hand painted. I'm not sure if this means that the ENTIRE tie is handpainted, or just the lanterns. I'd be inclined to think just the lanterns, except that the background lines themselves fade out where the lanterns are, so my guess is that the entire pattern on the tie, background and all, was hand painted. Again, if anyone knows more about it than me, please post a comment and let me know.

I've had this tie for quite a long time. My wife says she can't remember me not having it, so my guess is that it's another one I picked up back in my early days of collecting, probably while I was still in college.

There is a small label inside the large end of the tie that reads "Acetate woven with NYLON" and another larger label sewn onto the back side of the small end that reads
Resilient construction
Towncraft Deluxe Cravat
Fabric loomed in U.S.A.

No comments: