Sunday, March 02, 2008

Tropical Getaway

Continuing the theme of ties depicting real things, here is a tie showing some tropical getaway, replete with potted palms. The detail isn't really that great, so I can't say for sure if the tie is depicting a scene in the Bahamas, or Mexico, or some other Central American nation, or just southern California or Florida. Take your pick, I guess.

In addition to the tiled villa in front of which those potted palms are flourishing, the tie separately depicts a group of three palm trees that are apparently growing in the earth as they should.

Some might think I should have saved this tie for the summer, but no, a glimpse of tropical paradise should be a morale booster for those of us still stuck in winter. Not that I personally, am that interested in traveling to tropical climes. I'd never be a "snowbird," as we refer to those folks who, like the birds, head south for the winter. (Believe it or not, there's even a Wikipedia article on the topic of "Snowbirds!"

I did use some of my other vintage tropical ties to celebrate the summer, but this one is fitting into my current theme of ties depicting real things. Or at least things that could theoretically be real. Here's a list of past tropical images. I'm not sure why I didn't include this one at the time, but it's possible I didn't own it yet then. Either that, or I had forgotten about it.

Well, that's probably about enough rambling on for this week. This tie has one label, sewn onto the large end of the tie (more commonly, labels are sewn into the small end). The label reads:

Wembley
Sama-Fane*
*Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.

The word "Wembley," interestingly, is reverse stitched in white inside a bright red butterfly-shaped bit of embroidery. If I had more time, I'd scan a copy, but my list of other things that need to yet be accomplished this Sunday evening is still long. Until next time . . .

No comments: